Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A fairy story where the devil is in the detail


Once upon a time a shepherd was looking after his sheep on the side of a deserted road. Suddenly a brand new Porsche screeched to a halt. The driver, a man dressed in an Armani suit, Cerutti shoes, Ray-Ban sunglasses, TAG-Heuer wrist-watch, and a Pierre Cardin tie got out and asked the shepherd, "If I can tell you how many sheep you have, will you give me one of them?"

The shepherd looked at the young man, then looked at the large flock of grazing sheep and replied, "Okay." 


The young man parked the car, pulled out his smartphone, and called up a NASA Website and let it identify his location via GPS. Then he opened a database and 60 excel tables filled with algorithms and pivot tables. After studying these for a moment he turned to the shepherd and said, "You have exactly 1,586 sheep."

The shepherd was surprised and confirmed, "That's correct, you can have your sheep." 


The young man took an animal and put it in the back of his Porsche. 
The shepherd looked at him and asked, "If I guess your profession, will you return my animal to me?" The young man answered, "Sure,why not?"

The shepherd looked at him for a moment and then said, "You are an auditor."

The young man was shocked and asked, "How did you know?"

"Very simple," replied the shepherd. "Firstly, you came here without being wanted. Secondly, you charged me a fee to tell me something I already knew, and thirdly, you don't understand anything about my business..."


".....now can I have my dog back?"
Post a Comment