Friday, January 03, 2014

HMRC's top ten list of bizarre, exotic and flimsy excuses

HMRC has revealed the ‘Top 10 oddest excuses’ for sending in a late return.

The following "bizarre, exotic and flimsy" excuses have all been tried, unsuccessfully by tardy taxpayers who were hoping to avoid the £100 late filing penalty:

  • My pet goldfish died (self-employed builder); 
  • I had a run-in with a cow (Midlands farmer); 
  • After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t concentrate on anything else (London woman); 
  • My wife won’t give me my mail (self-employed trader); 
  • My husband told me the deadline was 31 March, and I believed him (Leicester hairdresser); 
  • I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play (Coventry writer); 
  • My bad back means I can’t go upstairs. That’s where my tax return is (a working taxi driver); 
  • I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land (South East man); 
  • Our business doesn’t really do anything (Kent financial services firm); and 
  • I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns (London accountant). 

No comments:

10 pop bands featuring accountants - or do they?

Ledger Zeppelin  The Rolling Balances  Fleetwood Macroeconomics  The Balance Sheetles  The Fiscal Fighters  The Profit Margin Boys The Doubl...