Friday, March 31, 2023

Now that's what I call 'tax advice'

Many years ago I spoke at a large ACCA meeting at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon. Just before I was introduced, Steve, an eagle eyed accountant asked me about the third set of initials after my name on the title slide projected on the screen. After my FCA and CTA (Fellow) I had included MMC.


I explained this was a bit of fun as they are the designatory letters for members of The Magic Circle (and, yes, I am a member). Steve then told me that he had an unusual hobby too. He said he was a poet.

The following day I received an email from Steve containing a poem he had written for me to deliver. I loved it - but never performed it as I can't do all the tricks he references!

The Third Person to Ask
(aka : Now That’s What I Call Tax Advice)
Though it is true I can produce a rabbit from a hat
I’d rather extol savings from the flat rate scheme for VAT
The sleight of hand required in Three Card Monte I do know
But ways to grow your practice is what I’d prefer to show
To cut a woman in two halves, the secret I find plain
I’m sure you’d much prefer to know how to offset a gain
The most secure of lock and chain I’ll escape in a trice
It really is much better to just give good tax advice
For whilst my skills at magic give me a qualification
They’re not what I’m best know for, throughout the English nation
And since tax is my living, I’m sure that you can see
Why my lectures do not highlight those three letters, MMC.

Written by (and posted with the permission of) accountant poet: Steve Brown

No comments:

Are some tax advisers paying more than they need to?

Some years ago on my first visit to Penrith, Cumbria, to present a talk to the local CIOT branch, I took a cab to the venue.  The driver ask...