Friday, October 31, 2008

The same professional surname

One of the senior tax partners at Horwath Clark Whitehill told me this delightful story many years ago. He was an FCA and also a Fellow of the Institute of Taxation. In those days the relevant initials were FTII as this was before the Institute became a Chartered body.

Ian had received a letter that had clearly been processed as part of a mail-merge facility (which must have been in its infancy in those days). He told me the salutation read:
Dear Mr Fcaftii - Which he pronounced: Dear Mr FeckerFooty
Ian noticed that the signatory had the same designatory letters so he responded by writing back:
Dear Mr Fcaftii. I see our computers think we share the same surname

No comments:

Are some tax advisers paying more than they need to?

Some years ago on my first visit to Penrith, Cumbria, to present a talk to the local CIOT branch, I took a cab to the venue.  The driver ask...