Tax doesn't have to be taxing but it will remain so as long as:
- Politicians can talk about abolishing the 10% rate but keep it in place for savings income;
- The tax credits system uses different measures of income from tax return forms;
- New rules introduced to simplify the tax system increase the quantity of tax legislation;
- HMRC focus on collecting the maximum amount of tax due under the law whereas taxpayers continue to pay the minimum amount of tax due under the law;
- There is a difference between those two figures
It's no joke but it's quite fun thinking up more examples of why tax is taxing and will remain so. Please add further examples to this posting.