Thursday, June 19, 2008

Not another boring accountant (part two)

I explained how and why I came to appear on Newsnight in a previous posting.

My actual TV slot comprised a very short magic trick (the self assessment pom pom stick) followed by me entering into the spirit of things, by being shown 'magically' changing from one outfit to another.. The idea was to provide examples to match the voice over - If not a magician then what next for the chartered accountant in films? So, through the wonders of television, as they say, they showed me magically transforming into a mad scientist then a James Bond style secret agent and finally a gumshoe detective.

At the end I recall Peter Snow, who hadn't seen what we filmed, started his subsequent interview by saying. Of course, not all accountants are as entertaining as Mark Lee. How kind!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think perhaps the stereotypical image of an accountant owes a lot to Monty Python and their ilk: http://thebozzman.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/accountancy-vs-lion-taming/

But worry not. As a software developer, I can tell you that you're not alone in being thought of as boring and avoided at parties once you start to discuss your profession.

And no-one's asked us to appear on the news since the damp squib known as the Millennium Bug.

Are some tax advisers paying more than they need to?

Some years ago on my first visit to Penrith, Cumbria, to present a talk to the local CIOT branch, I took a cab to the venue.  The driver ask...