Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Apprentice - Edward the accountantist

Edward Hunter was the first candidate 'fired' in the latest series of The Apprentice. As he left the Boardroom he was advised by Lord Sugar to remember: "There's no shame in being an accountant."

Edward himself made a number of related observations about his profession including:
  • I'm the wheeler dealer who accidentally became a financial professional.
  • I was trained at one of the biggest accountancy firms (PWC); but I don't fit the mould.
  • I don't need to show off that I can work out margins; I'm an accountant.
  • I'm mildly accountantist (anti accountants)
  • Whenever I'm introduced to anyone and I want to stop the conversation, I just say, 'I'm an accountant'.
  • I think every accountant will look at me and think, 'that's how I feel' (negative about accountancy).
Not a great advert for the profession.
(I posted a link to his audition video in a separate blog post here)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I get really annoyed with people like him who knock our profession. Sure he might not be suited to it but he will probably have got lots of opportunities from it.

Accountants should be proud of their skills and talents and put up with others belittling the profession.

Are some tax advisers paying more than they need to?

Some years ago on my first visit to Penrith, Cumbria, to present a talk to the local CIOT branch, I took a cab to the venue.  The driver ask...