Edward Hunter was the first candidate 'fired' in the latest series of The Apprentice. As he left the Boardroom he was advised by Lord Sugar to remember: "There's no shame in being an accountant."
Edward himself made a number of related observations about his profession including:
- I'm the wheeler dealer who accidentally became a financial professional.
- I was trained at one of the biggest accountancy firms (PWC); but I don't fit the mould.
- I don't need to show off that I can work out margins; I'm an accountant.
- I'm mildly accountantist (anti accountants)
- Whenever I'm introduced to anyone and I want to stop the conversation, I just say, 'I'm an accountant'.
- I think every accountant will look at me and think, 'that's how I feel' (negative about accountancy).
Not a great advert for the profession.
(I posted a link to his audition video in a separate blog post here)