Friday, February 05, 2021

When things were more formal than today

Many years ago when accountancy firms were more formal than they are today, the senior partner noticed a new trainee in the office and called out to him, across the older articled clerks:

"Come over here! What's your name young man?" 

"John," the new trainee replied. 

"Look, I don't know where you grew up or what school or colleague you attended, but I don't call anyone by their first name," the senior partner scowled. "It breeds familiarity, and that leads to a breakdown in authority and respect. I refer to all my staff by their last names only: Smith, Jones, Baker, whatever. And you are to refer to me as 'Sir'. Do I make myself clear?" 

"Absolutely sir!" 

"Now that we've got that straight, what's your last name?" 

The trainee sighed, "Darling, My name is John Darling, Sir." 

"Okay, Then. Welcome to the firm John.”

No comments:

Before PwC, before Coopers & Lybrand, there was Cooper Brothers.....

PwC was initially called PriceWaterhouseCoopers having been formed by the merger of Coopers and Lybrand and Price Waterhouse. Long before th...