Monday, January 18, 2010

Ten failed excuses for not paying your taxes

The taxman has heard it all before. Taxpayers frequently offer the same old excuses when they get caught failing to disclose all their taxable income :
  1. "Everybody does it....... don't they?"
  2. "I was ill, I had a nervous breakdown"
  3. "It was a present from an old uncle who's dead now"
  4. "How did you find out that? I thought no one would ever know"
  5. "It's not that serious..... is it?"
  6. "It's offshore, so it doesn't count...... does it?"
  7. "I won it playing poker"
  8. "Hypothetically speaking, what if I did?"
  9. "I met this guy on a plane and he said it was alright"
  10. "Pardon Mois, mais je ne parle pas le Franglais"
Do you have any other favourites?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I'll have to rearrange, my boss wouldn't give me the day off."

Failed excuse for not attending a meeting with the inspector about a disputed status issue.

Are some tax advisers paying more than they need to?

Some years ago on my first visit to Penrith, Cumbria, to present a talk to the local CIOT branch, I took a cab to the venue.  The driver ask...