Friday, January 24, 2020

10 imaginative excuses for late tax returns and expense claims

Every year, HMRC receives some imaginative excuses and expense claims following the 31 January Self Assessment deadline.

HMRC has just highlighted 10 of the most weird and wonderful excuses and expense claims they have received from taxpayers over the last 10 years.

The questionable expenses claims for item are:

  • caravan rental for the Easter weekend 
  • £4.50 for sausage and chips meal expenses for 250 days
  • a music subscription so I can listen to music while I work
  • pet food for a Shih Tzu ‘guard dog’ 
And the excuses are:

  • I was up a mountain in Wales, and couldn’t find a post box or get an internet signal 
  • my dog ate the post … again
  • my hamster ate my post 
  • I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land
  • a DJ was too busy with a party lifestyle – spinning the deck….in a bowls club 
  • my mother-in-law is a witch and put a curse on me 

All the excuses and expenses listed above were unsuccessful.

No comments:

Before PwC, before Coopers & Lybrand, there was Cooper Brothers.....

PwC was initially called PriceWaterhouseCoopers having been formed by the merger of Coopers and Lybrand and Price Waterhouse. Long before th...