Friday, January 25, 2019

Why do people leave filing their tax returns to the last minute?

As we approach the 31 January filing deadline for filing personal self assessment tax returns, I asked a few taxpayers why they leave things to the last minute.

A selection of their replies follows:
  • Flights to Panama are cheaper in January.
  • I've made HMRC my best and only deal available. It's their choice to either accept it, walk away, or it's no deal.
  • Fear of figures
  • My girlfriend said she'd do it for me
  • HMRC = Hold Money Past Christmas
  • I Have Many Reliefs to Claim
  • Hope My Rebate Comes
  • I know exactly when the last minute is. The first minute though...?
  • If it wasn't for the last minute I'd never get anything done.
  • I've got plenty of time as the last minute isn't due for another 4 or 5 billion years.


No comments:

Are some tax advisers paying more than they need to?

Some years ago on my first visit to Penrith, Cumbria, to present a talk to the local CIOT branch, I took a cab to the venue.  The driver ask...