Friday, April 24, 2020

Giving an accountant something to worry about

A newly qualified chartered accountant applies for a job advertised in The Times.
He is interviewed by the owner of a small business who has built it up from scratch.

"I need a qualified accountant," says the man, "but mainly I’m looking for someone to do my worrying for me."

"How do you mean?" says the accountant.

"I have lots of things to worry about, but I want someone else to worry about money
matters."

"OK," says the accountant. "How much are you offering?"

"You can start on eighty thousand," says the owner.

"Eighty thousand pounds?" exclaims the accountant, "How can a business like this afford
to pay so much?"

"That," says the man, "is your first worry."

No comments:

Are some tax advisers paying more than they need to?

Some years ago on my first visit to Penrith, Cumbria, to present a talk to the local CIOT branch, I took a cab to the venue.  The driver ask...