Friday, January 20, 2023

How valuable is an accountant's experience?

In 2017 I wrote an article for AccountingWeb about how to thrive in your 50s.  I was responding to a letter sent by ICAS to members and which appeared to suggest that the over 50s are over the hill!


One commentator on my article posed the following question by way of analogy:
If you were ever in the unfortunate position of needing brain surgery would you prefer:
A) the whizz kid age 27 who knows computers like the back of his hand? or
B) the 62 year old with many years experience in the game?
This drew the inevitable response from a frustrated small practitioner:
My experience suggests most will opt for: 
C) the cheapest butcher. 
I am sure this will resonate with many accountants in practice.

No comments:

For every tax problem...

 For every tax problem there is a solution - which is straightforward, uncomplicated and wrong.